Fifth Annual DivaFest: March 14 - 23, 2014
Part of our 10th Anniversary Celebration!
DivaFest is a juried playwrighting festival sponsored by the IndyFringe. Nationally, only 19% of published plays have been written by women. We are seeking to change that.
Over the past three years DivaFest has fostered the growth of new works, new audiences, new performing companies, and new fringe festival shows. Julie Lyn Barber's "Madwomen's Late Nite Cabaret' premiered in DivaFest and went on to IndyFringe and Montreal Fringes. Julie Mauro's "Strip for Change" was a huge hit in 2012. Tiffanie Bridges was inspired by her 2011 appearance in "The Wedding Belles" to write her first show, "Is That Your Reel Hair?" which was presented in this year's festival. Who will have the next hit show?
The importance of DivaFest:
- Develop and present voices not often heard as well as showcase the work of established voices.
- Help new playwrights learn the processes of play production: write the play, pass jury for acceptance, work with production team, market and evaluate.
- Engage new and established audiences in the art and craft of production
- Bring new excitement to theatre and grow DivaFest as a center for Indiana women playwrights.
- Attract regional and national media coverage
Past DivaFest Finalists: